Tuesday, May 5, 2009

arlette floats in the spring

oil painting on birch panel
14 inches square
sold

the floating series is one i began when i was doing a post-grad summer at the chautauqua school of art what seems like a million years ago in 2000. i had been interested in abstract art, in particular abstract expressionism, but had been feeling that it just wasn't for me, it wasn't me. with a bit of coaxing from some of the teachers (and a bit of discouragement from some of the others) i left behind the abstract work and began to explore the figure and symbolism. it began with birds and crowns and floating, imagery that i believed people would feel a connection to and feel that they knew the meaning to. i wanted each piece to feel like it had a story behind it and a deeper meaning without necessarily having one, i wanted to allude to more and i really didn't care what, i just wanted people to connect to the pieces emotionally and i didn't want them to need explanation which i felt couldn't happen with my abstract. that's what the floating is about, simply something people connect to and i guess i've connected to it because i just keep painting it.

3 comments:

sMacThoughts said...

I love the dreamy sky!

Rowena said...

This post fascinates me. I feel pulled between abstract expressionism and just what you are describing for much the same words. And also pulled between "pretty" and visceral painting. I have a hard time not painting pretty, and sometimes I don't want to.

I didn't go to art school... well, I went to art high school and minored in my liberal arts college, but missed out the full art school experience, and sometimes that makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I like hearing how your art school journey led you to flying girls. :)

Julianna said...

I love the floating paintings!